DIGIMU® proposes an industrial solution to simulate microstructural changes on the mesoscopic scale during metal forming processes.
DIGIMU® is the result of research projects carried out at the Central Research and Application Center for more than a decade, together with many industry stakeholders from the metallurgy, aerospace and nuclear sectors.
The full-field approach proposed by DIGIMU® has two main objectives:
DIGIMU® generates digital polycrystalline microstructures representative of the material’s heterogeneities (compliance with the topological characteristics of the microstructure). The boundary conditions applied to the Representative Elementary Volumes are representative of that experienced by a material point at the macroscopic scale (thermomechanical cycle of the considered point).
Based on a Finite Elements formulation, the various physical phenomena involved during metal forming processes are simulated (recrystallization, grain growth, Zener pinning due to second phase particles, etc.)
All calculations within Thermo-Calc are made using the thermodynamic data bases of Thermo-Calc. Thermo-Calc allows users to choose from a wide range of high-quality data bases for different types of calculations.
The database sets within Thermo-Calc are based on CALPHAD technique and are developed by expert material engineers as a result of extensive scientific researches, experimental and theoretical data systematically.
- Calculations of stable and semi-stable heterogeneous phase equations
- Phase ratios and % composition amounts
- Thermochemical calculations such as enthalpy, thermal capacity and thermal transformations
- Conversion temperatures: liquefaction – solidification
- Major parameters causing phase transformations
- Phase diagrams: (containing binary, triple and multiple components)
- Application of solidification calculations to Scheil-Gulliver material models
- Thermodynamic properties of chemical reactions
- And many more are used in thermochemical calculations.
DigitalClone for Engineering
DC-E is a multi-body dynamics digital twin that uses physics-based models to make statistical life predictions of drive train components. It is the world’s only integrated solution from system modeling to bearing and gear detailed analysis to simulation-based component life prediction. No other solution incorporates microstructure-based life predictions. Customers indicate that DC-AM can reduce iterations for design optimization by 75% and decrease cost for AM part qualification by up to 50%.
Build Your Own Models : Create system and component models and assess life – create response surface FMUs. Available in standard AWS and AWS GovCloud deployments.
Material Characterization: Provides services to perform the material characterization of the parameters needed to perform life estimation.
Root Cause Analysis (RCA): We can conduct RCAs on early failures within your fleet.
Model Management: Upload and manage run-time models to offer products and services on DigitalClone Platform.
- Design engineering or risk assessment of turbine or component technology in Wind, Aerospace and Rail.
- Test new material and/or proprietary material not already in the database.
- Conduct trade-off and sensitivity studies to understand optimal asset configuration and create the “Golden Bill of Materials.”
DigitalClone for Additive Manufacturing
DC-AM is a physics-based ICME platform that links process-microstructure-fatigue performance for metal additive manufacturing that virtually examines AM parts at microscale level, including grain size, grain morphology, porosity. Customers indicate that DC-AM can reduce iterations for design optimization by 75% and decrease cost for AM part qualification by up to 50%.
Link Processes: Physics-based ICME platform that links process-microstructure-fatigue performance for metal additive manufacturing.
Virtually Examine AM Parts: Unique microstructure module that virtually examines AM parts at microscale level, including grain size, grain morphology, porosity.
Predict Fatigue Performance: Proprietary fatigue model that predicts fatigue performance at grain level considering microstructural defects and variations.
Optimize the AM Process : Multi-dimensional process and design optimization to allow user to optimize the AM process and design based on microstructure and/or fatigue results.
This physics-based simulation suite has been well demonstrated in different AM platforms (i.e. powder bed fusion and direct energy deposition) and several alloys systems that our customers have been interested in. Those materials include Inconel 625, Inconel 718, 17-4 PH, 15-5 PH stainless steel, Ti64, and AlSi10Mg alloy. Additionally, the simulation suite can be applied to any new alloy with minimum calibration needed.
- Physics-based ICME platform that links process-microstructure-fatigue performance for metal additive manufacturing
- Unique microstructure module that virtually examines AM parts at microscale level, including grain size, grain morphology, and porosity
- Proprietary fatigue model that predicts fatigue performance at grain level considering microstructural defects and variations
- Cloud-based software that leverages AWS high-performance computing for fast simulation.